The Pedigree Database
The genetic history of your breed is preserved in its pedigrees. With a pedigree database that goes back to founders, you can learn many things about both history and the genetic structure of the current population -
- How genetically related are the animals in the current population to each other?
- What fraction of the genes in the original founder population still remain in the current population?
- What are the relative contributions of each of the founders to the genetic diversity in the current population?
- What is the "effective population size"?
- How inbred are the animals?
- Which animals are most likely to carry or be afflicted with a particular genetic disorder?